Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Give Blood

Did you know that every two minutes someone in Western Washington needs a blood transfusion?

Have you ever given blood? If so, how long has it been since you last donated? You can donate as frequently as every eight weeks. I try to give as often as I can, but sometimes it’s easier to let other things take priority. The nice folks from the Puget Sound Blood Center come to Washington Mutual Tower where I work every month. That makes it pretty easy.

When my mother had her scare with anemia last month she required two units of blood. That was a good reminder for me to get back on the program. PSBC was here last Friday. I made myself an appointment and did it. It’s really very easy. You have to answer a questionnaire, and they take your blood pressure and make sure you’re not anemic before you donate. Afterwards you get juice and cookies or crackers.

If you’ve ever thought about it but chickened out I encourage you to give it a go. This page has information on Western Washington donor centers and blood drives.

Give blood. Get cookies. Save lives.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I did this but was found to be anemic. I think I was going through my early flirtation with vegetarianism then. Now I take on occasion iron supplements, always with my Vitamin C.