Friday, December 15, 2006

Do You Have Power?

Are you getting tired of me talking about the weather yet? Yes, we had another bad storm - this time the biggest component was high winds. The bulk of the storm happened between yesterday afternoon and this morning. This morning there were over a million households in Western Washington without power. Utilities are saying some in outlying areas may wait days or even up to a couple weeks to have power restored.

I hope everyone reading has their power by now. My mother in Lacey is still without and tells me she is "freezing." I hope to convince her to visit the next door neighbors if her power doesn't return soon. They don't have power either, but they have a wood stove for heat.

Today I'm thinking about all the people who endured damage or hardship from the storm. Just some of its effects:
  • Lots of planes grounded. The airport recorded a record gust of wind at 69mph. Power was out in some areas of the airport and the wind actually blew in a window on the B concourse.
  • Over 1 million households without power.
  • Major bridges closed (Hood Canal; 520).
  • Freeway (I-5) closed at one point because the water was so deep cars were stalling out in it.
  • All schools in King County closed today; most schools in other counties of Western Washington closed or running late.
  • Roads blocked by fallen trees.
  • Four people killed. Some died when their cars were hit by falling trees. One woman drowned in her basement when there was a sudden flood and the water pressure wouldn't allow her to open the door.
It's hard to believe we've had so much severe weather already and winter isn't even here yet.

I hope you and your loved ones are warm and safe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I blogged about the storm too. I was worried about all the free range ducks, chickens, and the goose on my daughter's Bellingham farm. They call came through it just fine. In fact, the ducks ENJOYED it!

The Coz said...

I'm glad all the farm animals were okay! I lived on a farm with ducks, chickens and geese when I was growing up and I know just what you mean - they wouldn't mind the weather a bit!