Thursday, November 16, 2006

Short Hospital Stay for Mom

I frequently spend Mondays with my Mom. That's when I take her to doctor appointments and help her run errands. This Monday Mom had a checkup with her doctor. She was feeling great, just a little tired from time to time. As part of the checkup the doctor ordered some blood tests. Before the day was out he was calling to say she needed to come back.

On Tuesday afternoon I took her back to the doctor where we found out that her blood count was only 7.6. A normal blood count is 30, and anything under 11 is considered dangerous. One concern is that she could pass out and that would not be good for an 82-year-old woman who lives by herself.

She had to spend the night in the hospital where they gave her a couple units of blood. In the morning after the transfusions her blood count was up to 32. She got to go home before noon.

Mom is glad to be home and doing well. The next step will be to find out what caused the blood loss. She has had bleeding ulcers in the past so it's possible this could be a repeat of that problem. She goes back to the doctor on Monday to find out what further tests she must undergo.

I'm really glad her doctor did that blood test when he did. Something to add to my "I'm thankful for" list for sure.

No comments: