Friday, May 04, 2007

Walter Did It

I am so proud of Walter. For some time I have been asking him to come downtown and give blood with me. The Puget Sound Blood Center comes to my office building once a month and it's very convenient to take a little time out of my day to go donate. We are allowed to donate once every 8 weeks so an every-other-month visit is possible.

Walter gave blood a few times when he lived in Kentucky, but that was more than 20 years ago. Today at my urging he came downtown so we could go to the blood drive together. Before you can donate they give you a brief medical screening to make sure you are healthy enough to donate. Unfortunately, my blood count came out just below what it has to be to donate. The technician said my number was healthy for me, but not healthy enough to give away a whole pint of blood.

At first I felt a little bad that Walter was giving blood and I couldn't. It worked out fine, though. I got to stand by his side while he gave his donation. I will try again next month.

After Walter donated and he spent the requisite 10 minutes resting with juice and a light snack we went out to lunch together at a nearby diner, Bernard's. It was a fun date for both of us. We're going to do it again soon.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Is Bernard's on Seneca? I might have been there five years ago.

Good for you for giving blood. I tend to be anemic every time I give blood, don't know what to do about that as I've tried leafy greens and taking iron supplements with vitamin C.

The Coz said...

Hi Christina. Yes it's "Bernard's on Seneca." It used to be a very smoky place and I didn't enjoy going there. But I have recently rediscovered it now that we have the smoking ban. Pretty good stuff!

I think this was the first time I had trouble with the anemia. Maybe I will have to try a multivitamin with iron. Hopefully this won't be a trend.