Sunday, June 03, 2007

Cent$ Cabaret

Wow, it has been a busy weekend. On Friday night I was fortunate to be able to attend a fun-filled evening which served as a fundraiser for the local CENTS program. Cents stands for "Consumer Education and Training Services." The organization is a Seattle non-profit formed by the local bankruptcy and legal service professionals. Their mission is to empower consumers to take control of their financial situations through education and training programs. The Debt Clinic where I volunteer is associated with Cents and part of that educational effort.

Each year the local bankruptcy community (lots of bankrutpcy lawyers) puts on a fundraising event. This year they called it the Dollars and Cent$ Cabaret. The evening consisted of: a silent auction; a live auction of fancy desserts (can you imagine paying $350 for dessert?!) and other items including dinner parties and Mariner boxes; a jazz pianist during cocktail hour; and a rock band "The Deadbeats" composed entirely of bankruptcy attorneys plus one judge on drums. I was fortunate to receive an invitation to attend this $125 per plate dinner for free. It was a really fun evening - those bankruptcy attorneys know how to party! And all the money went to such a worthy cause.

You can see some pictures and video from the event by clicking this thumbnail:
Image hosted by Webshots.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun time, Carm. I loved the bidding video! One question, what did the $125 meal consist of?!

Colette

The Coz said...

I thought the bidding was really fun! I actually bid on a silent auction item but didn't get it. I didn't have the kind of bucks to bid on the live auction items but it was a kick watching all these attorneys throwing their money around for a good cause.

The meal was delicious - I don't know the names of the menu items but there were tender asparagus and darling little baby squashes about an inch or so in diameter. The entree was a very tender chicken dish with a wonderful topping/coating that tasted like some kind of apricot marmalade. Yum!

Christina said...

I wish I knew of CENT$ before. Thanks for telling me. I didn't know you volunteered at such an agency. For close to a decade I've been really interested in consumer education, particularly consumer credit education.