Saturday, January 06, 2007

Who Says I Can't Do Video?

I mentioned before that I did not have a way to post videos in this blog. Walter got a camcorder a few months ago, and I haven't taken the time to figure out how to get videos from the camcorder to the blog. We don't have high speed internet access at home so it would be a multi-step process.

But while we were out at Zoolights on New Years Eve there were so many cool animated vignettes that's when I remembered that I can take small movies with my own digital camera. The process for transferring video from my digital camera onto the computer is very quick and easy just like uploading digital photos. And I figured out that once the video is uploaded, it's an easy task to post it here.

Below is a very short video taken at Zoolights. This animated light display has a very Northwest theme. You will see fish (I think they are salmon) swimming in one direction in the water. Then you will see an eagle swoop down from the top right and grab one of the fish before exiting stage left.

What's fun about video as that you get sound too. As I mentioned in my last post, Zoolights is at the zoo. And the zoo means animals. In this video you will hear some howling in the background. You would be correct that howling has little to do with salmon or eagles.

As it turns out, this particular display was set up right next to the coyote area. The coyotes are not on display during Zoolights as it is nighttime, but they are awake behind a fence. Many of the young humans in the area figured out that there were coyotes behind the fence and if they (the humans) howled, the coyotes would howl back. That's the soundtrack you hear - human and coyote howling.

You can click the big button below to view the video here or if you would like to see it a bit larger click here.

No comments: