Friday, July 27, 2007

View of Elliott Bay

Sometimes I drive to work. When I do, there is a view I love of Elliott Bay just before arriving at the office building. This view is facing west on Seneca Street which is at a significant incline heading down towards the water.

What I love is the way the view of the water and whatever is going on in the water is framed between tall buildings on either side of the street.

Sometimes it's just the water I see ahead of me, and sometimes there are boats going by. The most striking variations of this view are when ferry boats or container ships (as seen in this photo) are crossing the expanse of water just in front of me. Depending on the timing there also might be a sunrise coloring the sky and reflecting off the water.

I don't know how many times I have come down that hill and been struck with the thought "wow, I wish I had my camera handy!" This morning as I headed down the hill this container ship was just coming into view and I thought about the camera. As luck would have it I happened to be the first car in line at a stoplight. The stoplight gave me plenty of time to grab the camera out of my purse, aim, and take this photo. In fact this was my favorite of three shots I was able to take.

I think it's so cool to live in a city which affords views like this one. Although I'm doing something very ordinary ("driving to work") I can watch a scene such as a container ship or a ferry boat crossing Elliott Bay unfold seemingly right in front of me. It's almost as though I could reach out and touch the vessels as they go by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat picture! And, I'm so glad you took it while you were stopped at a stoplight! Otherwise, you might have come closer to the beautiful scene than you'd planned, ha!

Also, Carm, it is refreshing to hear of your special enjoyment of the "ordinary" things in life! Thanks for sharing.

Colette

The Coz said...

Thank you Colette!

Did you notice I included the stoplight in the photo just for you so you wouldn't worry about my driving and snapping pics?!

I'm glad you enjoy these little "snapshots". :)

Carm

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I love that view, but sometimes I forget. Thanks for reminding me!