Sunday, July 22, 2007

My Grandfather as a Baby

I just discovered that my sister Jozi and I were each in possession of old photos taken in the same photography session. These were taken in 1903. The first photo is a close-up photo allowing you to see the people best, the second photo shows the entire house, stairs, picket fence and gate.

The baby in these photographs was my grandfather, Theodore Lee Moe. The other people are his parents and siblings. My grandfather's grandfather, Ezra Moe (not shown in the photos), was a pioneer in the town of Skamokawa, Washington in Wahkiakum County. That's a tiny place on the banks of the Columbia River in Southwest Washington. A peculiarity of the labyrinth of waterways and creeks that intersect the area funnels fog into the town and caused the original Indian inhabitants to name it Skamokawa, which means "Smoke-on-the-water."

This house is no longer standing but the people of Skamokawa still know of the Moe family history there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Love the family history, so neat to see and hear about one's roots!

Colette