Friday, April 11, 2008

Bill the Artist - Now Carving Rocks

You might remember that my brother-in-law Bill has quite the talent for creating works of art from pieces of wood. Earlier this year Bill branched out into carving rocks. He does not have the fancy rock cutting tools that are intended for use on rocks so he only carves the softer types of rock and his carving progress is slow and painstaking.

I had been hearing about Bill's rock carvings for a while but it wasn't until about a month ago that I got to see some of his work. He brought a few pieces over to my mom's house when we were there on a Monday.


The group photo doesn't do them justice though so I had to take close-ups of each one. This first piece is interesting to me because it looks so different from every angle. Here are 3 photos of the same rock taken from different sides. The carvings on this one remind me of something ancient - perhaps Egyptian? I love how this rock is so smooth.





This one is cool because the face seems to have some personality to it. Not something you would see every day.

And here is another one with a face carving. Again, I think rather ancient looking. I suppose I should let you form your own interpretation rather than my telling you what I think!


Bill approaches the rocks in the same way he does his wood carvings. He looks at each rock before any carving and forms an idea of what it reminds him of and how he could embellish on that theme. As each rock is unique each finished piece of art is unique.

Last but not least I must show you this special piece. I think this was one of the first ones Bill did and he told me about her when she was just about finished. When he first found this rock he saw the veining in a circular pattern which is now around her face. It reminded him of hair so he decided to make a face to go along with it. Do you remember City Girl, the wood carving Bill made for me? Bill calls this one "City Girl's Sister." Notice she has the same red lips and blue mole on her face as City Girl.

When Bill gathered up his rock art to return home after our show and tell he handed City Girl's Sister to me. He gave her to me to go with City Girl! How cool is that. I haven't yet decided whether she will live at home next to City Girl or if she will be part of a small rock collection at the office. In any case I will have to make sure she is prominently displayed.

Thanks Bill!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sharing Bill's rock art! I agree with your descriptions of the ancient-looking ones. How cool! Bill is quite creative with these. In the future, rocks I come across will get a more thoughtful viewing after seeing these!

Colette