Sunday, October 23, 2005

City Girl

Check out my new art! My brother-in-law is very talented with wood carving. He takes old pieces of wood (various types), and carves on them until they are smooth and beautiful and express something unusual. He has done a lot of tall walking sticks, each with its own personality. A few months ago I was at his home admiring some of his work. He told me he would make me a carved walking stick for my balcony garden. Instead, he made me this cool abstract wood sculpture from an old piece of wood that was lying around my parents' property.

I love the big red lips which I am sure he incorporated because he knows I like to wear red lipstick. And the blue dot on the side is a mole - just like I used to have (except mine was black, not blue). You can't quite tell from the picture, but she also has smooth black hair. I asked my brother-in-law what we should call her. He came up with a long version of a name which I cannot entirely remember. But I remember the first part - "City Girl". You see, my family are mostly small-town folks and I was the only one to move to the big city of Seattle. Hence the name. As you can see I found a great place in the corner of my living room for City Girl where she can watch everything that goes on.

No comments: