Sunday, March 11, 2007

Speaking to Children

I want to share with you a post written by my San Francisco friend Jason over on his Virtual Parenting blog. I enjoy reading Jason's blog where he shares his experiences as a first-time parent from the male perspective. And of course I love to see pictures and video of his little girl Harper who is nearing two years old.

The post I'm referring to (you can find it here) is about something he learned at Harper's day care on how to speak to and deal with children. I especially appreciated the first example he gave about hitting because it shows how one can teach a child to respect and care about other human beings - something lacking in some families today. I was impressed with his insight and really happy he shared this. Parenting is the most important job in the world and it makes me feel good to know that Jason, like many of my friends, cares enough to do it well. It brings me hope for the future.

Even as a non-parent I found the post worthwhile. It's good advice to take a little more time and use more words sometimes when dealing with other adults in our every day relationships. If you get a chance I encourage you to give Jason's post a read.

No comments: