Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Broke a Tooth

At the beginning of the year I sat down with my dentist and did a little budget planning. We figured out which tooth it was most important for me to get a crown on this year and which one could wait until next year and which one might need a crown the year after that. One crown a year - all planned out.

I scheduled my first appointment for yesterday - February 6th. On Sunday (two days before the appointment) I broke a different tooth on a soft sandwich! I spent the two hours in the chair yesterday having the prep work done for a crown on the tooth that got broken. That means the tooth I had planned to get done will have to wait until the broken one is completed. Since each crown requires two appointments that will be 4 dental appointments in a short period of time.

I tried arguing that the newly broken tooth could wait, but the dentist pointed out that if the other side of the tooth breaks too that could mean I would need a root canal. Of course we can't have that, so I had to let them go ahead with this new plan. Although it was a bit of a "pain" to spend two hours in the chair, the bigger pain will come in my wallet later.

It may be time to give serious consideration to calcium supplements.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry about your broken tooth! That really "gums up the works", ouch!--bad news and bad joke, ha!

Are you not already taking calcium supplement, tsk tsk, that is not good news either. Broken tooth or no broken tooth it is recommended by every health care professional for your best health! Be sure to select one that has Vitamin D and Magnesium also because those help the calcium to bind to your bones.

Okay, enough on the health preaching! 'Glad you like your new dentist and that you already had the appointment scheduled. :-)

Colette

Christina said...

Salmon is good too for calcium! You can get a good deal on Calcium Citrate tablets at Super Supplements.

The Coz said...

Thank you for the hints and tips ladies! I just went on a little errand to Bartells with calcium on my list, but they were closed. I will get some tomorrow and get started.

I'm glad salmon is good for calcium - I LOVE salmon! And I'll keep eating my yogurt and string cheese too...