Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Planting Time

Those who know me know that container gardening (planting flowers in pots) is one of my passions. This summer life seemed too hectic and I decided to skip a growing season. But my friends are reminding me that fall planting time is here, and it's a good time to think about planting once again.

As you can see from the photos I decided to add a few winter pansies to my balcony rail. There are four to be exact. I also hit on some good deals on bulbs at Fred Meyer so I planted up a container of 18 parrot tulips, and have done the first couple pots of what will be a collection of 100 mixed early tulips.

Part of the project as I'm planting is to dig out and clean up some old pots that I'm no longer using so they can go to my friend Michelle who will fill them with her own plantings.

I avoided planting in the summer because it can be so time consuming (both the planting and watering/fertilizing process). But planting once again reminds me how therapeutic and fulfilling it can be. I love the feel of the earth in my hands. And it's a good way to slow down and appreciate nature a little bit instead of trying to relax by going comatose in front of the TV set.

Thank you to my friend Colette who planted her potted pansies last month and encouraged me to make a date with my pots soon too.

No comments: