Friday, August 25, 2006

A Blast From the Past

You may know that Seattle was host to the World's Fair in 1962. The Seattle World's Fair was more than just a fair. Also called the Century 21 Exposition, it featured futuristic buildings, cars, transportation systems and scenarios of what life might be like in the 21st century.

That event occasioned the building of the Space Needle and the development of the grounds around it which are now referred to as the Seattle Center.

My sister Jozi's friend Dan went to the World's Fair in Seattle when he was a child. He bought some postcards at the Fair and has saved them all this time. Jozi scanned in a few of them and I share them here. Seattle looked a lot different back in 1962. For example, I look at this photo and wonder where did all the tall buildings go?

These photos show how different the grounds looked with an actual World's Fair in place.

Notice the futuristic-themed attractions.

But some things have changed little in the last 44 years. This photo, for example, could almost be duplicated today:


For you Seattleites out there, who remembers the Bubbleator?? Yes, I know, I'm dating myself. :)

No comments: