Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Serenity

I just had to share this beautiful picture that to me embodies the word "serenity." Kimber took this photo on a recent weekend trip to Moclips, Washington on the coast. It's hard to believe that she took this photo with her camera phone.

This photo brings back lots of fond memories from my childhood when I spent a week each summer at the ocean. I love it when the sand is rippled and dimply like this from the tide level being about even with the top of the sand. To me it's an invitation to go barefoot. Somehow I doubt Kimber did that in late October though.

When I first got this picture in my email I glanced at it only briefly (it was a busy day). And on first glance I thought this was a beach littered with pilings. I thought those were posts out there in the water. But upon closer inspection I realize those are people. And not just any people ... they are clam diggers! You can click the photo to see it a little larger. Kimber happened to be at Moclips on the opening weekend of razor clam digging season.

I remember clam digging season from when I was little. It meant getting up verry early to go to the beach and the adults finding a zillion different ways to cook with the razor clams they dug. I loved razor clams. I think my favorite was when Grandma would fry up ground clams in a batter like fritters. Yumm! But I digress...

I think the reason I thought those were posts instead of people is that I think of the ocean (at least the Washington coast) as much more deserted than this. But clam digging explains why so many people were out there.

Kimber thought this photo would make me smile. It did. And I hope it will do the same for you.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!

No comments: