Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thinking Rock ROCKS!

I have a lot of difficulty juggling my many "to do list" tasks. The biggest problem is that I don't really have an organized system for keeping track of those tasks. Sure, I write lists all the time. I even keep with me a notebook for thoughts as they come to me. But it's just one long list, or many short ones. They are not organized by topic in any way, so reviewing the list to figure out what I need to do is difficult.

I am a fan of the GTD system, which is a methodology for collecting, processing, organizing, reviewing and doing your tasks. I'm very good at the first step - collecting, but that's about as far as I get successfully. There are many software applications out there for handling tasks GTD style, and I have tried a few of them. So far none have been quite right for me. So I keep going back to a paper system which is very customizable, but I have a tendency to lose track of the papers and then I have to start over.

A few days ago I came across this new software called ThinkingRock. It's pretty new, but so far I love what it does. It handles the various steps in GTD style and seems to think the way I think. One of my problems is that my head categorizes a task in several different ways - by project, by the context where it should be done, and by topic such as "work" or "personal" or "friends and family." This software does the same thing! You enter a task once and can sort and filter the list by many criteria. It also handles projects well letting you designate tasks and subprojects for any project with lots of space for freeflow notes about the project. And you've got to love their logo (see above).

I've had ThinkingRock installed for a couple days, and so far I still love it. The test will be if I'm using it 10 days from now. If anyone wants to check it out, you can find it here: http://www.thinkingrock.com.au/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carm:

How exciting! I think I'll forward this on to the secretary/administrator at our church. 'Bet she'll love it too!

Oh, and we look forward to the 10-day report! :-)

Colette