Sunday, September 17, 2006

Mail Love from Eilat, Israel

Sometime last year I met a lovely woman from Israel through PostcardX. We correspond infrequently, but she sends the most wonderful things in the mail. My friend lives in Eilat, which is a resort town at the southern tip of Israel. It's on the Red Sea and behind the city is the desert where you will find Timna Park (King Solomon's Mines). I learned about Timna Park from a brochure my friend sent earlier this year.

The other day I got an envelope from her containing a beautiful tourist map of her city and a folder with a set of postcards of Eilat. This folder was apparently one meant to be given out to tourists from France. There was a message from the mayor of Eilat inside welcoming French tourists and explaining that the postcards included could be taken home as a souvenir or sent to friends at home to show off the beautiful city of Eilat.

At first I didn't see the postcards, but was engrossed in reading the message. You see, the message was written in French and I was actually able to read most of it without too much difficulty. I took French in school, but that was a very long time ago! It was while reading in the message about the postcards that I realized there were postcards enclosed. They are too beautiful to keep only for myself. I had to share them here:

I also want to share a little of my friend's message:
"As you know, our summer vacation was not exactly what we had wanted it to be, but me and all my family and friends are okay. Hoping and praying that there will be no war again."
Amen to that.

No comments: