Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ironworld

I have been quite lax about keeping up with postcarding lately. However, my profile is still posted on PostcardX and once in a while my name comes up in a random search and I am the fortunate recipient of a postcard - almost always from some place I've never been or even heard of.

It's always a thrill to get a bit of land mail. A postcard or letter is 100 times better than junk mail and bills, don't you think? A couple of days ago I got a wonderful card from Sara B. on PostcardX. The card was from Ironworld Discovery Center in Chisholm, MN.

I looked up Ironworld on the web and the place sounds fascinating. Visitors can take a scenic ride on this vintage trolley. Ironworld is the largest museum complex on Minnesota's Iron Range and displays the history, culture and technology of Minnesota's Iron Ranges. They also have ethnic foods and music and you can take mine tours.

So what's an Iron Range? I wondered that myself. I found a defnition via Google. It's a region in the northeastern section of Minnesota with multiple distinct bands of iron ore. The area has a unique history of mining and immigration.

I love it when I learn something new thanks to someone who took the time to send me a card. Sara also wrote me a wonderful note on the card telling me all about her day. Thank you Sara!

I need to get busy and start sending out some cards of my own including making use of my Postcrossing account.

No comments: