Sunday, August 12, 2007

Freeway Park with Walter

Ever since Freeway Park was opened in the 70's I have been intrigued with this idea of a park with a freeway running underneath. As I drive on the freeway under it I frequently notice the ivy running down the sides of the concrete and tell myself I will visit it someday.

It's hard to believe I have not been to Freeway Park before since it is located downtown just a few blocks from my office. I think one of the reasons I haven't been there is the same reason so many people don't even know it's there. The park is pretty secluded, tucked behind tall buildings and not open on a major thoroughfare through the city. You have to go looking for it.

The park has some cool features including manmade waterfalls and a native basalt rockery. We found some nice tables where we could eat our lunch then spent some time walking around the park. They have done a really nice job with the flower plantings including lots of brilliant impatiens, hydrangeas and other shade loving plants.

To see more pictures of the park click on Walter's photo above and use the Next and Prev links to navigate.

Also, here is a short video I put together.

No comments: