Sunday, August 12, 2007

Farewell, Dear Friend

If you are like me you might have in mind a few friends that you've meant to maintain contact with or someone you intend to write, call or visit. Our long-time family friend Betty was on such a list for me.

Betty's mother lived next door to us when I was a small child, and I remember hours of fun spent playing with her kids (roughly the same ages as me and my sisters). I haven't spoken with Betty in many years. I believe the last time I saw her was at the time of her mother's death maybe a dozen years ago.

Betty was always kind to me and my family. When we graduated from high school she threw us parties to celebrate. She was a warm and loving person whose greatest joy was spending time with her family and friends.

Betty and I recently got back in touch (maybe a couple years ago) through Christmas cards and a couple notes exchanged back and forth. I have long owed her a letter or other communication and had hoped to visit her sometime soon as she had expressed an interest in seeing me and my sisters. But I'm afraid the time for that has run out.

Betty passed away on Monday, July 30 at the age of 69. I was not able to attend her memorial service as it conflicted with one of my mother's appointments, but I have been in touch with her family.

So long, Betty. Your presence and your spirit on this earth will be missed.

Maybe it's time to take another look at that list of people we intend to stay in touch with. You never know when time could run out.

No comments: