Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Looking Like the Enemy

I just finished reading a book that I would recommend to anyone. It is Looking Like the Enemy by Mary Matsuda Gruenewald. The book was written by the aunt of my friend Marguerite and describes her experiences in the Japanese-American internment camps of World War II. Reading it I felt transported back in time as though I was experiencing those events with her. Her story is powerful and moving and was a slow read for me because it's so emotional. But I got through it a few pages at a time.

I was very impressed with the author's parents (Marguerite's grandparents). They demonstrated such courage, grace and forgiveness in the face of extreme prejudice and adversity.

It's hard to believe that American citizens were put into prison camps for no other reason than their skin color and ancestry. That happened here in this country, the "land of the free." Let's hope nothing like it is ever repeated.

If you would like to read more check out the book here.

No comments: