Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Varekai

On Sunday my friend Kimber and I went to see Varekai, the traveling Cirque du Soleil show at Marymoor park. Varekai is a Gypsy word for "wherever." The show included quite an extravaganza of acrobatics, world-beat music and elaborate sets and costumes.

Cirque shows always feature the most talented and agile of circus and acrobatic performers. This show was no different. I am always amazed to see what people can do with their bodies and not get hurt. If you've ever had a dream that you were flying, the performers in Varekai make such a dream a reality.

I have seen one other Cirque performance - La Nouba which is a permanent (non-traveling) show in Orlando. Of the two I think Varekai is my favorite. My favorite performances within Varekai were the juggler (who did amazing things), the Icarian Games in which two men juggle two other men on their feet, and the amazing arial strap act of the Athertons who are twin brothers.

If you get a chance to see Varekai take it. You won't regret it.

No comments: