Friday, December 02, 2005

Snow!

Yesterday was rather exciting. People in most areas around Seattle had our first snow of the year. Seattle doesn't usually get much snow, so it's a big deal when we do. I was working in my office downtown while the drops fell. We could see great big fluffy flakes coming down outside silhouetted against the dark terra cotta colored building next door. It was SO pretty! But there was some frustration too, because it's not really possible to capture the beauty of falling snow with a camera as well as it appears to the naked eye.

The snow fell for several hours but the temperature was too warm for it to stick. It stopped snowing before I left my office. It stuck in some of the outlying areas, though, and I understand some places got a couple inches. When I got off the bus at the Transit Center near our home (about 7 miles north of downtown) I was pleasantly surprised to find almost an inch of snow piled around, although the pavement was bare and wet. In fact I had to get out the snow brush and push snow off my car before I could drive home.

I love to watch snow fall and I celebrate almost every time it happens here. But I deliberately avoid driving in it at all costs. It's a good thing there is good bus service available for me. It's possible we will have more snow in the next few days, but it is unlikely to amount to much. Perhaps any real accumulations will hold off until after Christmas so we can do our shopping without worrying about getting around in the snow.


No comments: