Thursday, December 22, 2005

For Some the Holidays are Tough

This time of year everyone's expectations are very high. The mood is supposed to be happy and celebratory. But sometimes regular life intervenes and the gap between reality and expectations is great. The last few days I've been thinking about some friends and relatives who will not have as joyous a Christmas as most.

-- On my mind is my friend Colette who will be celebrating her first Christmas without either of her parents.
-- My friend Betty passed away earlier this year and I feel for her mother and the rest of her family who feel her absence greatly.
-- This week my friend Kimber had to say goodbye to her dog and best friend of 11 years. Her home won't be the same without Cappi.
-- My aunt is suffering a terminal illness. My heart goes out to her and her immediate family members who are caring for her.
-- Today my friend and coworker Doxey was turned away from an airplane flight because he was too sick to fly. He ended up in the hospital possibly with pneumonia. I can only imagine how disappointed he is that he cannot spend Christmas with his family in Tennessee this year.

We can only be grateful that the message of Christmas is one of hope. My hope is that my friends and family who are experiencing sadness this time of year know that they are loved and that tomorrow will bring a better day. Merry Christmas to all.

No comments: