Sunday, October 16, 2005

Postcard Trading

This summer I took up a new hobby - trading postcards with people across the country and around the world. I use two web sites as a source for addresses. Postcrossing.com is an international and structured postcard trading project. I like that the site tracks the cards sent and received and will also display a history map for you. As you can see from my map below there are many users in Europe (especially Germany and Portugal) although there are more countries participating every week and the site is becoming increasingly diverse. The person who created Postcrossing is from Portugal and that's where it originated.



The other web site I use is PostcardX. There you click a link to receive a randomly selected address for sending. The PostcardX site is about 70 percent United States users, so if you want postcards from around the U.S. that would be a good place to start.

Each week I send a couple random postcards plus responses to cards that were sent to me. I receive an average of 3 cards per week between users from the two sites. It's a great way to learn about different places around the world. If you would like to see my postcard collection you can click on the Flickr badge in the sidebar.

No comments: